Folio (446 x 310mm), pp. vii, [1 (blank)], 84; title printed in red and black and with publisher’s device in red; mounted etched frontispiece and 40 mounted etchings printed on Japanese vellum, all signed in pencil by Burgess and retaining guards, mounted etched additional title printed on Japanese vellum; a few very faint marks, soft creases on the margins of a few plates, frontispiece creased; original maroon buckram, upper board lettered in gilt and with publisher’s device in gilt, spine lettered in gilt, publisher’s monogram on lower board, uncut, a few ll. unopened; light offsetting on endpapers, extremities slightly rubbed and bumped, foot of spine slightly chipped, nonetheless a very fresh, clean copy; provenance: David Enders (1922-2000).
US $9765 €8385
First edition, limited to 110 copies, of which 100 were for sale. This series of etchings was executed by the British engraver and painter Walter William Burgess RE (1856-1908), who exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1874 and 1903, and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers in 1883. The etchings depict historic and picturesque buildings, sites, and monuments in Chelsea, including Chelsea Reach, Swan Walk, the Royal Hospital, Old Battersea Bridge, Cheyne Walk, Lindsey House, the Old Church, the More Chapel, the More Monument, Petyt House, Carlyle’s House, Queen’s House, George Eliot’s House, Turner’s House, Leigh Hunt’s House, Belle-Vue House, Whistler’s House, Franklin’s House, the Physic Garden, Glebe Place, and Lordship Place. The text accompanying Burgess’ images was written by two young poets who were highly-regarded figures in the ‘decadent’ literary circles of the 1890s – Lionel Johnson (1867-1902) and Richard Le Gallienne (1866-1947), who were, with W.B. Yeats, Oscar Wilde, et al., early members of the Rhymer’s Club and contributors to The Yellow Book.
This copy is from the collection of the actor, restaurateur, and bibliophile David Enders, who was educated at Lindisfarne College and Wadham College, Oxford, before he was commissioned into the Welsh Guards in 1942. He was invalided out of the army in 1944 and then pursued a very successful career as an actor, both in the theatre and in radio drama. In 1950, Enders and his partner, the actor John Glen, opened the restaurant L’Aiglon in Old Church Street, Chelsea: ‘the food was excellent and cheap enough to make it an economical alternative to eating at home for those living round about. The business expanded when their friend Sir Laurence Olivier suggested they start a restaurant at the Chichester theatre’ (T. Pocock, ‘David Enders’ in Chelsea Society Annual Report (2000), pp. 63-4 at p. 64). Enders lived in Chelsea, latterly in Carlyle Square, for some fifty years, and his obituarist wrote that he ‘might be described by a future anthropologist as a splendid example of Chelsea Man. […] David was tireless in battling what he considered misguided developments in Chelsea; he was an active member of the Chelsea Society’ (loc. cit.).
You may also be interested in...
ONE OF 60 COPIES HOPFER.
Opera Hopferiana. 92 Abdrücke von Stahlplatten der Gebrüder Daniel, Hieronymus und Lambrecht Hopfer.
Daniel Hopfer (c.1470-1536) was one of the most important Harnischätzer (armourer and etcher of armour) in the artistic circle around Emperor Maximilian I at Augsburg. Hopfer is widely credited to be the first who transferred etching of armour to printmaking, thus becoming the inventor of etching as a reproduction technique in prints. Together with his sons Hieronymus (c. 1500-1563?) and Lambert (fl. 1525-1550) he quickly developed his etchings techniques into a characteristic ‘Hopfer style’. The technically demanding and labour intensive procedure of the Hopfer style with multiple bitings of the acid was not used by any other artist. All the Hopfer plates were on iron, rather than the copper later introduced by Italian artists.
KING’S IMPORTANT ACCOUNT OF BACK’S 1833-1835 ARCTIC EXPEDITION KING, Richard.
Narrative of a Journey to the Shores of the Arctic Ocean, in 1833, 1834, and 1835; under the Command of Capt. Back.
First edition. The English naval officer and Arctic explorer Sir George Back (1795-1878) was a veteran of Sir John Franklin’s first two Arctic expeditions, and this experience led to his appointment to command an expedition to search for Sir John Ross, whose party searching for the Northwest Passage had vanished in 1829. Ross had taken supplies for three years, so his survival remained a possibility when Back sailed for North America in early 1833, accompanied by the surgeon and naturalist Richard King (1810/1811-1876), who was Back’s deputy. Their party, which departed Montreal in April 1833, explored Thlew-ee-Chow (the ‘Great Fish River’, later re-named ‘Back River’) and located its source, before overwintering at Fort Reliance; in the meanwhile, Ross, who, remarkably, had survived, sailed back to England in late 1833. Back was informed of Ross’ return by letter in April 1834, and instructed to travel to the extreme north-eastern coast of the continent, where he surveyed and explored uncharted areas. Although King was eager to journey further (which would have probably enabled the party to confirm that Boothia was a peninsula), Back wished to turn back, and in the spring of 1835 Back made his way to England via Montreal and New York, and King took command of the expedition, concluding its affairs in North America before returning in Back’s wake.