Thousands of Frenchmen dead for resistance.

Lithograph in colour, 9¾ x 15 in (25 x 37.5 cm); Rubbed and creased in margins; inscription on verso ‘London District Cttee C.P.'.

£75

Approximately:
US $0€0

Make an enquiry

This poster, along with two others designed by Louvat in 1944, was produced by the French Forces of the Interior (FFI), a name used by Charles de Gaulle for the French Resistance movement towards the end of the Second World War. In June 1944, the FFI was involved in the Allied invasion of Normandy and suffered heavy casualties. They were consequently ordered to consolidate on 23 June 1944 under the command of General Marie Pierre Koenig (Marston, Counterinsurgency in Modern Warfare, p. 87). The FFI aided other Allied troops to advance through France and liberate Paris by subverting German efforts, capturing towns, bridges and villages as well as providing intelligence on German movements.

The inscription on the verso indicates that this poster was held by the London District Committee Communist Party. In1950, the Communist Party of Great Britain was divided into residential and industrial branches. By 1951, the London district had over 8,000 members (gcu.ac.uk).

You may also be interested in...

BALZAC, Jean-Louis Guez de.

Aristippus, or, Monsieur de Balsac’s Masterpiece, being a Discourse concerning the Court … Englished by R.W.

First edition in English of Aristippe (1657), a treatise on wisdom in political administration dedicated to Queen Christina of Sweden, who was an admirer. Balzac was particularly reputed for the quality of his prose, seen as raising it to the same perfection as Malherbe did for French verse. At the end is an apposite extract from an earlier work, The elegant Combat (1634), comprising his conversations with Pierre du Moulin. Wing B 612.

Read more

RARE AIRS [BALLARD, Robert.]

VII. livre d’airs de differents autheurs à deux parties.

First edition; very rare. This is the seventh instalment in the remarkable series Livres d’airs de differents autheurs à deux parties which had been initiated by the music publisher Robert Ballard (III) in 1658 and which was to end, thirty-seven volumes later, in 1694.

Read more