The Tunbridge Wells Guide; or an Account of the ancient and present State of the Place, to which is added a particular Description of the Towns and Villages, Gentlemens Seats, Remains of Antiquity, Founderies, &c. &c. within the Circumference of sixteen Miles.

Tunbridge Wells, Printed and sold by J. Sprange, at his Circulating Library. Sold also in London, by Rivington Booksellers … ‘1786’ [but some contents dated 1787]

12mo., pp. [12], ii, 48, 45-60, [2], 49-112, xii, 113-320; with an engraved frontispiece by Walker after J. Roberts of ‘A Perspective View of Tunbridge Wells Walks’ [the Pantiles], an engraved vignette on the title, engraved dedication page, seven other engraved plates of local sights (dated 1782-7, four folding) and a folding ‘Table of Distances’ with a pasted cancel over the legend and imprint; ‘A Description of Tunbridge Wells’ has a separate title-page dated 1785 (p. 79), the inserted quire *P (pp. i-xii) contains mention of a death in 1787; pp. 317-20 are advertisements for maps, books and medicines; pp. 256-7 stained at inner margin; contemporary sprinkled calf, red morocco label; armorial bookplate of Sir Richard van den Bempde Johnstone, Bt. (1732-1807); a fine copy.

£500

Approximately:
US $668€566

Make an enquiry

The Tunbridge Wells Guide apparently first appeared in 1780; reissues and/or new editions, partly from standing type, with variously erratic pagination and a steady accretion of content, appeared throughout the 1780s and 1790s. ‘The hurry in putting this to the press,’ an ingenuous Preface explains, ‘may have subjected it to some few errors’. The text under the pasted cancel on the ‘Table of Distances’ shows that it was taken from The Kentish Companion, printed at the [King’s] Arms Printing Office in Canterbury in 1785.

The first section of the Guide is a short history of the town compiled from various sources and including ‘General Rules laid down, by an able Physician’ for taking the waters (pp. 69-78). Monumental inscriptions, descriptions of local parishes and lists of the pictures at Penshurst, Knole, Mereworth and Glassenbury are followed by ‘Anecdotes’, a list of lodging houses and tables for ‘The Going-out and Coming-in of the Stage Coaches’.

You may also be interested in...

MONETA, José Manuel, and Robert Keith HEADLAND, ed..

Four Antarctic Years in the South Orkney Islands: an Annotated Translation of ‘Cuatro Años en las Orcadas del Sur’.

One man’s fascinating record of four winters in the Antarctic during the 1920s, the period of transition from the isolation of the Heroic Age to the beginnings of radio communication with the world outside.

Read more

MARINI, Giovanni Ambrogio.

The Desperadoes; an heroick History. Translated from the Italian of the celebrated Marini (the Original having passed ten Editions.) Containing a Series of the most surprizing Adventures of the Princes Formidaur and Florian … In four Books. Embellish’d with eight excellent Copper-Plates.

First and only edition in English of Le gare de’ disperati (1644), the second of three romances by Marini (1596-1668). Inevitably, ‘It was necessary to omit many Things that were contrary to our Morals; to Decency, and to the Purity of the English Tongue …’. But the general scheme of events is the same as the original, and is outlined on the title-page: ‘A Series of the most surprizing Adventures of the Princes Formidaur and Florian; the former being in love with Zelinda, whom he takes to be his own Sister; and the latter having married Fidalme, who he supposes to be his father’s Daughter by a second Wife, and afterwards kills in Disguise in single Combat. With a Relation of the various amazing Accidents, and Misfortunes, which happen thereon, until the Whole concludes with making them all happy, by a most extraordinary and uncommon Revolution.’

Read more