62 x 99 cm, lithographed poster in full colour, a few short tears at head, repaired with backed on linen, A-.
US $2101 €1693
In the 1930s, commercial aviation was in its infancy in Africa. The French colonists decided to pioneer an air service, Aeromaritime, to enhance the existing maritime links between Senegal and the Congo, under the auspices of the Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis, a shipping company, which subsequently leveraged the existing African commercial infrastructure. Launched on the Dakar to Pointe Noire coastline using amphibious planes such as that featured here, the efficacy of the project was significantly impeded by matters of sheer distance (more than 6000km), climate and rainforests. An interesting souvenir of the French colonial era in Africa.
Albert Brenet (1903-2005) was variously appointed Peintre de la Marine, de l’air and de l’Armée by the French Ministry of Defence. This poster exhibits his characteristic technical accuracy.
You may also be interested in...
Six years on the road: or, reminiscences of colonial life, scenes, & incidents. Published for the author, and to be had of A. S. Robertson, W. L. Sammons, and W. Brittain [colophon: Saul Solomon & Co., Steam Printing Office, Cape Town], 1856.
First edition. ‘A curious little collection of essays, written in Cape Town about the middle of the nineteenth century, and mainly illustrative of that town and its suburbs at that period. One of the chapters deals with the state of the Cape Town Library, drawing attention to the lack of a proper catalogue, and criticising the selection of new books acquired from time to time’ (Mendelssohn). Other essays are entitled ‘The pace of the Cape colonist’, ‘A trip to Simon’s Town’, ‘Reading for the million – an hour in an omnibus’, ‘The physiognomy of dress’ and ‘Brookomania’.
RARE AIRS [BALLARD, Robert.]
VII. livre d’airs de differents autheurs à deux parties.
First edition; very rare. This is the seventh instalment in the remarkable series Livres d’airs de differents autheurs à deux parties which had been initiated by the music publisher Robert Ballard (III) in 1658 and which was to end, thirty-seven volumes later, in 1694.