4to, pp. 488, title in red and black with an engraved vignette showing the library; a fine, fresh and large copy in the original boards, spine with orange label. Bookplate of Giuseppe Martini (1870-1944), bookseller and collector, who in the 1940s had the richest collection of Italian literature in private hands
US $1185 €1064
Added to your basket:
Catalogo della Libreria Capponi o sia de’ Libri Italiani del su Marchese Alessandro Gregorio Capponi ... con Annotazioni in diversi luoghi, ed coll’ Appendice de’ Libri Latini, delle Miscellanee, e dei Manoscritti in fine.
First and only edition of the catalogue of this remarkable library assembled by Capponi (1683-1746) and containing over 5000 titles, mainly of early Italian literature. The catalogue was compiled by Alessandro Berti with bio-bibliographical notes by Domenico Giorgi. The collection now forms part of the Vatican Library by Capponi’s bequest: it is still considered an important aid to the student of Italian literary history.
A fine copy with an interesting provenance. Giuseppe Martini started his business in his native Lucca, but emigrated shortly after to the US, settling in New York where he lived until 1921, he then returned to Europe setting up in Lugano in Switzerland, he died there in 1944. He is considered a giant amongst antiquarian booksellers and collectors.
Brunet, I, 1639; Pollard & Ehrman, pp. 264 and 349; Taylor, pp. 23, 105, 134, 228, 236; Ottino-Fumagalli 3566; Bogeng, III, pp. 21-22.
You may also be interested in...
(SCHWERIN) (GLOECKER, A.F.W).
Bibliothek des Vereins für Meklenburgische Geschichte und Alterthumskunde, wie solche am Ende des Junius 1836 bestand.
The Verein für Mecklenburgische Geschichte (‘Association for the history of Mecklenburg’) was founded in 1835. Here we have the catalogue of its library, with over 1500 books, as it grew over the years from its foundation to 1844. This is a fascinating record of local interest books, some published contemporarily but many from the preceding centuries, donated by its member. The library grew at a healthy speed of a few hundred books each year, and all had local interest. There was also a fine collection of books printed in the county of Mecklenburg. Mecklenburg is a relatively little known region in northern Germany, with Schwerin and the ports of Wismar and Rostock as its main towns.
[SOCIETY OF ARTISTS.]
A Catalogue of the Pictures, Sculptures, Models, Designs in Architecture, Drawings, Prints, &c. Exhibited by the Society of Artists of Great-Britain, at their New Room, near Exeter-Exchange, Strand. April the twenty-fifth, 1774, the fifteenth Year of exhibiting …
First edition of the Catalogue for the selling exhibition of 1774. The Society of Artists emerged in 1760 as a loose association of artists, including Joshua Reynolds and Francis Hayman, who wanted greater control over exhibitions of their work than they experienced under William Shipley’s Society of Arts (est. 1754). They held an alternative exhibition in London, May 1761, and in 1765 obtained a Royal Charter as the ‘Incorporated Society of Artists of Great Britain’. By 1774, however, the leading artists had joined the more prestigious Royal Academy, founded in 1769, although there are still examples here of paintings contributed by George Stubbs (‘A portrait of a horse’) and Joseph Wright of Derby (his celebrated ‘The old man and death’).