Single sheet of parchment (165 x 135 mm), printed on the recto only and completed in brown ink; creases where folded, very good.
US $111 €91
An intriguing piece of ephemera, discharging the 20-year-old Irishman Dennis O’Brian from Parkhurst Prison. The certificate notes that O’Brian had spent over eight months in confinement and almost five years on public works, that his prison trade was as a gardener, and that his conduct had improved and was generally good.
Established in 1838, Parkhurst was the first prison for young offenders in England, becoming a target for the educationist and penal reformer Mary Carpenter (1807-1877). The signatory of this certificate, Captain George Hall, became governor of the prison in 1843 and remained until its closure as a boys’ prison in 1864, when he escorted the last 78 inmates to Dartmoor. Hall oversaw the transportation of many boys from the prison to Australia and New Zealand prior to 1853 when the practice was discontinued and boys could, like O’Brian, be recommended for release on license. Hall was an able and reforming governor, dividing Parkhurst into wards, training his staff, building a pond in the grounds for the boys to swim in, and consistently asking his superiors to take steps to provide suitable aftercare and employment for inmates following their release.
You may also be interested in...
HOLROYD, John Baker, Earl of Sheffield.
Observations on the Impolicy, Abuses, and False Interpretation of the Poor Laws; and on the Reports of the two Houses of Parliament.
First edition. Holroyd (1735–1821) highlights current abuses of the Poor Laws and praises the efforts at reform then being debated in Parliament. ‘There remains not a question that the Reports will encourage and promote various suggestions and useful observations, that will elucidate and enlighten still further this great, important, and interesting subject.’ (p. 60). This process culminated in the great reform of the Poor Laws in 1834.
WILLIS, George Brandor.
View of Bayonne, taken from the sand hills on the left of the Adour, when occupied by the British forces on the 12 of March 1814, by Lieutenant George B. Willis, of the Royal Artillery. Dedicated with permission to the Rt. Hon. Earl Mulgrave, Master General of the Ordnance, &c. &c. &c. This print is intended to commemorate the illustrious return of Field Marshal the Duke of Wellington, and that proud period, when after a glorious career of victory, and the deliverance of Spain and Portugal by British valour and perseverance, the English standard was planted before the walls of Bayonne, and the legitimate sovereign of France recalled to add his seal to the general peace of Europe!
On his return from the Peninsular campaign, Wellington first took his seat in the House of Lords and was officially welcomed by the Queen at Buckingham House on 28 June, four days after the publication of this tribute by Edward Orme.