Folio (300 x 210 mm), pp. 722; blue cloth; dust-jacket.
US $136 €121
Added to your basket:
A Chronology of Antarctic Exploration: A synopsis of events and activities from the earliest times until the International Polar Years, 2007–09.
A historical chronology of all Antarctic regions compiled during 25 years at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, by its former Archivist. This book lists the voyages to the far southern parts of the Earth, in particular to Antarctica, from those directly engaged in exploration and research, to sealers and whalers exploiting its resources, to those accidental discoveries made by early merchants blown off course. The record begins in 700 BC and continues to the present. Detailed entries for expeditions and related historical events provide a thorough and useful guide to the history of the Antarctic and its surrounding territories. A comprehensive introduction describes its evolution and structure. Maps and plates are included to show the development of knowledge of the far south, the locations of places mentioned in the text, and events of several selected expeditions.
You may also be interested in...
Obsessions and confessions of a book life.
Reminiscences of an author, bookseller, and publisher, written at the age of eighty-eight. Colin Franklin’s newest book wanders freely through themes which have absorbed him—a lost world of publishing, adventures in bookselling, and the irreplaceable scholarly eccentrics who dominated that world a generation ago. Available in USA from Oak Knoll Press; available in Australia from Books of Kells.
John Owen’s Epigrams for Prince Henry. The Text of the Presentation Manuscript in the Library of Trinity College Cambridge. With introduction and notes by Nicholas Poole-Wilson.
Printed here for the first time is the text of an autograph manuscript of the epigrams which John Owen presented to Prince Henry, eldest son of James VI of Scotland (I of England), on the occasion of his becoming Prince of Wales in 1610. The small quarto, preserved at Trinity College, Cambridge, is the only surviving manuscript in Owen’s own hand. It contains 105 epigrams, of which 25 appear in print here for the first time; others present a text frequently at variance with the printed versions which Owen published in 1612, the year of Henry’s death. The subjects are a characteristic cross-section of his bitter-sweet jests and jibes.