Buildings in the town and parish of Halifax. Drawn from nature and on stone by John Horner.

Halifax, published by Robert Leyland, 1835.

Oblong folio (330 x 415 mm.), letterpress leaf containing list of subscribers (accounting for 200 copies), and 20 litho plates (including the title) ‘printed by C. Hullmandel’, one plate (no. 7) with cancel description; a few scattered spots here and there, mostly in the margins; bound in the original pale blue wrappers with large printed label to front, spine has perished but the original stitching is firm and untouched, the front wrapper has two small pieces torn out, extremities have small tears, bit dirty. Contemporary neat mss presentation to title from a godmother to her goddaughter. In card board folding box.


US $1246€1062

Make an enquiry

First and only edition of an album with fine large litho views of buildings in and around Halifax, West Yorkshire. John Horner was a local artist who lived in Halifax; this is his only published work.

His atmospheric views often capture buildings which had already been torn down by the time he published the present album, such as ‘Old Building in the Wool-Shops, taken down in 1833’; ‘Old Houses in Northgate, taken down 1824’; ‘Old Houses in Lower Kirk-Gate, taken down in 1825; and ‘Sowerby Bridge Church, built 1520, taken down 1820’. He also shows a number of fine country houses in the vicinity of Halifax in their dramatic landscape settings, such as Hodsworth House; Scout-Hall in Shibden-Dale; Hope House, seat of Christopher Rawson, scion of the banking dynasty; High Sunderland (demolished in 1950), Wood-Lane-Hall in Sowerby; Sunney-Bank in Greetland; Shibden Hall; Stoney Rhoyd, the seat of Mrs. Rawson, taken from the grounds at Hope; Rowroyde, seat of Lady Mary Horton; Haugh End, Sowerby; and Wood-House. These are fine lithographs by a local artist of his native town which was changed beyond recognition during the industrial revolution.

You may also be interested in...

[ILLENGEN, von, and Jakob FUNCK.]

Plans und journals von denen Belagerungen des letzteren Kriegs in Flandern, zusammen getragen von zweyen ausländischen Capitainen in französischen Diensten.

First edition in German: a French-language edition was issued in the same year by the same publisher. An account of Louis XV’s sieges in the Austrian Netherlands from 1744, when France joined the War of the Austrian Succession through an alliance with Prussia, to the conclusion of the conflict in 1748.

Read more


The Faerie Queen: The Shepheards Calendar: together with the other Works of England’s Arch-Poët, Edm. Spenser: collected into one Volume, and carefully corrected.

First collected edition, second issue, of the ‘first of the English poets of our age, as his poems prove, written under the smile of the Muses, and with a genius destined to live’ (William Camden). This volume contains all of Spenser’s poetical works including Prosopopoia or Mother Hubberds Tale, which was left out of the 1611 issue, because of its allegorical attack on Lord Burghley, the father of the (then living) Lord Treasurer Robert Cecil.

Read more