8vo, pp. vi, 97, , with five plates; black publisher’s cloth, yellow dust-jacket printed in red and black; a fine copy in a near-fine jacket, spine slightly sunned; bookplate of Lewis’s friend D. G. Bridson, scattered pencil markings in margin, two page references on a sheet of paper laid in loose.
US $818 €758
Added to your basket:
The Demon of Progress in the Arts.
First edition, inscribed ‘To Geoffrey / my best copy / Wyndham’. Lewis breaks here with abstraction in the arts, naming Michael Ayrton, Francis Bacon, Henry Moore, Ceri Richards and others as ‘the finest group of painters and sculptors which England has ever known’. Ayrton collaborated on many illustrations and dust-jacket designs after Lewis lost his sight.
Pound & Grover A39; Morrow & Lafourcade A39a.
You may also be interested in...
PARTLY INSPIRED BY MONTAIGNE DESLANDES, André-François Boureau.
Dying Merrily: or, historical and critical Reflexions on the Conduct of great Men in all Ages, who, in their last Moments, mock’d Death, and died facetiously ... translated from the French by T. W.–––. A.M. …
First edition of this translation of Réfléxions sur les grands hommes que sont morts en plaisantant (1712), by the philosopher and naval official André-François Deslandes (1670–1757), an important precursor of the Encyclopédistes.
CHARTERHOUSE SCHOOL BEARCROFT, Philip.
An historical Account of Thomas Sutton Esq; and of his Foundation in Charter-House …
First edition. Thomas Sutton (1532-1611) was an Elizabethan civil servant who made an enormous fortune from leases of land rich in coal in Durham. In 1611 he bought Howard House for £13,000 from the Earl of Suffolk; the building acquired its more familiar name, ‘Charterhouse’, after the order of monks who inhabited the original institution, a Carthusian monastery. Sutton quickly set about establishing a free school for forty boys and a hospital for poverty-stricken gentlemen. By the time of his death, he had organised a Master and a group of governors for the foundation, to which he bequeathed the majority of his fortune. Charterhouse finally opened its doors in 1614. The school moved to its present site in Godalming in 1872.