8vo, pp. iv, 220; light foxing, dust-staining to title, offsetting to final leaf; a good copy in recent blue buckram, spine lettered in gilt; omissions identifies in ink and pencil, a newspaper clipping dated 1914 tipped in.
Added to your basket:
The Whig Club, or a Sketch of modern Patriotism, comprising the following Characters: Mr. F–x, Lord H––d, [and 72 others] &c. &c. &c.
First edition of Pigott’s satirical ad homines attack on the Whigs. The Whig Club ‘offered a scurrilous account of ‘offered a scurrilous account of élite London society, with which [Pigott] seems to have been well acquainted’ (ODNB). The text was issued also by Crosby, and both booksellers released a second edition within the year.
An early hand has provided many names where omitted by the publisher.
You may also be interested in...
FANSHAWE, Sir Richard.
Original letters of his excellency Sir Richard Fanshaw, during his embassies in Spain and Portugal: which, together with divers letters and answers from the chief ministers of state of England, Spain and Portugal, contain the whole negotiations of the treaty of peace between those three crowns.
First edition. The diplomat and translator Sir Richard Fanshawe (1608–1666) first visited Spain as a student in 1633. On his return to London he was appointed secretary to the new ambassador to Spain, Walter Aston, and travelled to Madrid with his embassy in 1635. Fanshawe was in Spain again in 1638 and 1650, Portugal in 1660 and 1662–3 (as Charles II’s ambassador), and both countries, as ambassador to Spain, in 1664–6, negotiating a peace treaty between England and Spain, and the ‘articles for the adjustment between Spaine and Portugal’. He died at the Casa de las Siete Chimeneas in Madrid of an ‘ague’ which turned to ‘a malignant fever’. A superb linguist, Fanshawe made remarkable translations from Góngora, Argensola and Camões.
[BALDELLI, Giovanni Battista].
Elogio di Niccolo’ Machiavelli.
Uncommon first edition of this speech in praise of Machiavelli, given to the Reale Accademia Fiorentina on August 7th 1794 by the Florentine soldier, politician, and historian Giovanni Battista Baldelli Boni (1766–1831).