12mo., pp. , 140, , with an engraved frontispiece of ‘The East View of Windsor Castle’ by R. Benning, and three other plates, one folding; two final advertisement leaves, plus several woodcuts in the text; a very good copy in contemporary sheep, scuffed, spine worn, joints cracked, but cords holding.
Added to your basket:
Les Delices de Windsore; or a Description of Windsor Castle, and the Country adjacent, treating, I. Of the Castle. II. Of the Royal Apartments and the Paintings therein. III. Of the Chapel of St. George. IV. Of the Order of the Garter. V. Of the Town and Forest of Windsor, the Parks, and Villages in the Neighbourhood. With two Views of the Castle, and other Cutts. To which is added an Appendix, containing the Ceremonies of Installation of a Knight of the Garter in St. George’s Chapel.
First edition of a much-reprinted pocket companion to Windsor ‘for the use of Strangers, and other Persons, who visit this our Royal Castle’. It is ‘for the most part an Extract from a larger Work publish’d in Quarto a few Years since’ (Pote’s own work The History and Antiquities of Windsor Castle, 1749).
Pote, publisher, stationer and master of an Eton boys’ boarding house, was also known to Eton students as a bookseller: ‘Jos[eph] Pote of Eton, a man of great renown, / Buys a book for sixpence, and sells it for a crown’ (quoted in Oxford DNB). His son Thomas followed him into the publishing business, and was freed as a member of the Stationer’s Company in 1754.
ESTC shows six copies in the UK and four in the US (Columbia, Texas, Washington and Yale).
You may also be interested in...
WITH ARMS PRINTED IN GOLD [MULLIS, William].
A brief Account of the Blue Coat Hospital, and Public Library, in the College, Manchester, founded by Humphrey Chetham, Esq. in the Year 1651.
Sole edition, privately printed and very rare. William Mullis was the deputy librarian of Chetham’s Library, the oldest free public reference library in the English-speaking world. It was founded in 1653, along with the Blue Coat School (two years earlier), by bequests from the merchant and banker Humphrey Chetham. Both charities occupied the ‘venerable edifice’ built in 1461 to accommodate the priests of Manchester’s Collegiate Church.