36 and 20 lines written in a Spanish notarial hand, brown ink, notarial signatures and marks at foot of each document, several later endorsements; lightly creased and dust-soiled, but in very good condition. 387 x 378 mm.
Added to your basket:
Two documents in Spanish on the same sheet, concerning the sale of property by Alvar Gil to Diego de Çervantes.
The documents concern the sale of a house, winepress (‘lagar’), smaller winepress (‘lagareta’), tank (‘pilo’) and cellar (‘bodegas’) by Alvar Gil, tailor (‘alfayate’), to Diego de Çervantes, who is described as the servant of Fernando Bachiller, prior of the monastery of Our Lady at ‘val parayso’, i.e. the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Valparaíso, Santibáñez de Béjar, in the province of Salamanca.
You may also be interested in...
SKETCHES IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE [SOUTH OF FRANCE.]
‘Routes de Privas à Nîmes 1892’.
A nice sketchbook, by an anonymous artist, recording a trip to the South of France in 1892, capturing the beauty of the landscape, as well as some of the historic monuments in the départements of Ardèche, Gard, and Vaucluse.
HEBRIDAL SMELT YARRELL, William.
A History of British Fishes … illustrated by nearly 400 Woodcuts.
First collected editions, with an autograph letter on the Hebridal smelt from the species’ discoverer. Published serially from 1835 to 1836, Yarrell’s History of British Fishes was reprinted within a year, and followed soon after by Thomas Bell’s British Reptiles in 1839 and his own British Birds in 1843 published by van Voorst and together forming a comprehensive survey of British wildlife. Though noted for his careful observations, Yarrell is here corrected on several points in an autograph letter to the antiquarian Adam Sim (1805–1868) from William Euing (1788–1874), who had discovered the Hebridal smelt (first included in the Supplement) in November 1837.
Despite this contribution to Scottish ichthyology, Euing, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and President of the Glasgow Archaeological Society, is best remembered for his fine library, of which some twelve thousand volumes now belong to Glasgow University.