12mo, pp. , 767, , with folding letterpress table (Stemma Augustæ domus); additional copper-engraved title; worming to lower outer corner of quire B, not affecting text; a very good copy in contemporary Roman red morocco gilt by Andreoli, with Pamphili arms to each board, spine richly gilt in compartments, lettered directly, edges gilt; very little surface rubbing, shallow cracking to spine; ink library stamp of ‘Libraria Colonna’ to both titles; front free endpaper inscribed ‘Philippus H. Howard ex dono Patris, Romæ 1819’; twentieth-century private collector’s bookplate to front pastedown.
US $1616 €1378
Added to your basket:
[Opera] Quæ exstant.
Later edition of the complete works of Tacitus edited by Boxhorn, in a fine presentation binding by Gregorio and Giovanni Andreoli, the leading binders in Rome from around 1655 until 1699. Though dubbed the ‘Rospigliosi bindery’ by Hobson after one of its principal patrons (Cardinal Giulio Rospigliosi, later Clement IX), the workshop is known to have bound for the most prominent noble and papal families of the seventeenth century, including the Colonnas, the Medici, the Borghese, Queen Christina of Sweden, and Alexander VII, who is reported to have appointed Gregorio Andreoli ‘Vatican Binder for life’ in 1665.
With the Pamphili arms tooled to each board, the present example was most likely bound for Camillo Pamphili (1622–1666), Prince of San Martino al Cimino, before passing into the well documented library of his son Cardinal Benedetto Pamphili (1653–1730), patron of art and music, and Vatican librarian. ‘Bibliophile and, one could say, “bibliophagist”’ (Mercantini), Benedetto’s acquisition of books, as of art, was voracious, gathering from around Europe some nine thousand volumes, for which the architect Carlo Fontano was commissioned to build a library and Carlo Nunzio Lulier was employed to serve as librarian. With the death of his heir Girolamo Pamphili in 1761, Benedetto’s collection was transferred to the Colonna family.
Shortly after the dispersal of the Colonna library by auction in the second decade of the nineteenth century, the present Tacitus was acquired in Rome and given to the eighteen-year-old Philip Henry Howard (1801–1883) by his father, the antiquary Henry Howard (1757–1842). From the Howard family of prominent English Roman Catholics, Henry Howard spent much of his youth on the continent while unable to obtain a commission in the English army on account of his recusancy. Both he and his son benefited from his advocacy of Catholic relief: in 1795 he was finally accepted to the 1st York militia with the rank of captain, and Philip Henry Howard was elected Member of Parliament for Carlisle in 1830, only a year after this was permitted by the passage of the Relief Act.
Nijhoff V, col. 77; for a study of the Andreoli bindery, cf. Foot, Henry Davis Gift I, pp. 323-336; for an account of Cardinal Benedetto Pamphili’s library, cf. Mercantini, ‘“Fioriscono di splendore le due cospicue Librarie del signor cardinal Benedetto Pamfilio”: studi e ricerche sugli Inventari inediti di una perduta Biblioteca’ in The Pamphilj and the Arts: Patronage and Consumption in Baroque Rome (2011), pp. 211-230.
You may also be interested in...
VETERINARY EDUCATION IN BRITAIN CLARK, James.
A Treatise on the Prevention of Diseases incidental to Horses, from bad Management in Regard to Stables, Food, Water, Air, and Exercise, to which are subjoined Observations on some of the surgical and medical Branches of Farriery … second Edition, corrected and enlarged.
Two important texts on farriery (second and third editions respectively), with a preface instrumental to the foundation of the Royal Veterinary College in 1791. Farrier to the King for Scotland, James Clark’s arguments for a veterinary school after the model of the continental colleges were read and promoted by Granville Penn (1761-1844), the future chairman of the London Committee which would establish the Royal Veterinary College. Dedicated to one of the College’s early patrons, the Duke of Buccleugh, the title describes the author as ‘Honorary and Corresponding Member of the Society of Agriculture &c. at Odiam [Odiham] in Hampshire’, the agricultural society from which the movement for a British veterinary college was beginning. Upon the death of the College’s first Professor in 1793, Clark was encouraged to accept the position but declined, believing he would soon be appointed to lead a new veterinary school in Edinburgh, though this would not be founded for another thirty years.
L’heureuse benediction des maisons.
A wonderful devotional broadside printed in the Breton town of Vannes, comprising a crude woodcut depiction of the scene at Calvary, signed ‘Desloge’ at the base, with two cantiques spirituels. The image is identical to one that appeared in a similar publication, also undated, that appeared in Mourtain in Normandy, printed by Lebel; the surrounding border and the text, however, differ, and we are unable to establish priority. Similar images, appearing under the same title, were not uncommon in the mid nineteenth century in provincial France, but survivals are very rare. Lamarzelle was the publisher of numerous works, both religious and secular, throughout the nineteenth century. Nicolas de Lamarzelle, the present printer, was active between 1835 and 1849.
Neither the present version nor the Mourtain one recorded by OCLC.