US $0 €0
This is the first facsimile reproduction of one of the greatest Florentine illustrated books of the Renaissance – Il Quadriregio is to Florentine book illustration what the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili is to Venetian. The only surviving work of Federico Frezzi (c. 1350–1416), bishop of Foligno, the text is an allegorical poem in the vernacular, describing a journey through four regions: Love, Satan, Vice, and Virtue. The Earl of Crawford’s copy, one of only two remaining in private hands, is reproduced here in its entirety. The prefatory essay, by Bernard Breslauer, not only treats the book, its remarkable publisher Piero Pacini, and its place in the history of Florentine book illustration, but considers how it has been assessed by the critics and art historians of the last hundred years.
You may also be interested in...
Bibliotheca Lindesiana. The Lives and Collections of Alexander William, 25th Earl of Crawford and 8th Earl of Balcarres, and James Ludovic, 26th Earl of Crawford and 9th Earl of Balcarres.
The Bibliotheca Lindesiana was perhaps the finest private library assembled in the nineteenth century. Nicolas Barker considers the library’s purpose and traces the circumstances of its formation in detail, in the process adding considerably to the biographies of the 25th and 26th Earls of Crawford, two highly significant figures in the history of collecting.
BARKER, Nicolas, and David QUENTIN.
The Library of Thomas Tresham and Thomas Brudenell. With an introduction by John Martin Robinson.
Sir Thomas Tresham (1543–1605) remains best-known for his buildings, especially the market house at Rothwell, the Triangular Lodge at Rushton and Lyveden New Bield. His library, one of the largest in England of its time, has hitherto attracted comparatively little interest. Now, as a result of a careful examination of both the portion of the library which has been preserved at Deene Park in Northamptonshire by the descendants of Tresham’s son-in-law, Thomas Brudenell, and of a manuscript inventory of the original library, Nicolas Barker and David Quentin have provided a detailed picture of the library and the circumstances of its creation. The catalogue of nearly 2,000 works shows that Tresham owned the latest works on architecture, mathematics, astronomy and science, Catholic theology and devotion, with a wide range of works on history and literature. John Martin Robinson’s introduction gives much information on Tresham’s family and his patronage of architecture.