4to, pp. 24, including the original decorative paper wrappers, in full colour throughout, wire-sewn as issued, a few small marks, still very good, spine very lightly worn.
US $442 €392
Added to your basket:
Мишкины соседи [Little Bear’s neighbours].
First edition. A very nice copy of this collection of verses for young children, composed by one of the most prolific Soviet children’s poets, and illustrated by one of the most prolific of Soviet children’s artists. The tales tell of the lives of a selection of farm and wild animals, including a calf, a foal, a fox, a wolf-cub and the little bear of the title.
Zinaida Aleksandrova was the author of around seventy poetical works for children, many of which were repeatedly republished, or turned into songs. Dmitry Gorlov was a celebrated Soviet sculptor, graphic artist and animal painter. He worked as an illustrator of children’s books from 1922 onwards, eventually going on to work as a ceramic designer from the famous Dmitrov factory in Gzhel.
Rare. Worldcat finds only a single copy, at Chicago.
You may also be interested in...
SCOTT, Sir Walter.
The Lady of the Lake … with all his Introductions and Notes, various Readings, and the Editor’s Notes.
C[OLOMBO]. A[POTHECARIES]. CO. LTD.
Caryota Urens (Kitul), Botanical Study,
Charles Scowen arrived in Ceylon around 1873 and was initially an assistant to R. Edley, the Commission Agent in Kandy before opening a photographic studio around 1876. By 1885 his photography firm had studios in Colombo and Kandy. Scowen was a later arrival to Ceylon than Skeen and his work is less well-known, but: ‘Much of Scowen’s surviving work displays an artistic sensibility and technical mastery which is often superior to their longer-established competitor. In particular, the botanical studies are outstanding…’ (Falconer, J. and Raheem, I., Regeneration: a reappraisal of photography in Ceylon 1850 –1900, p. 19). In the early 1890s the firm was being run by Mortimer Scowen, a relative of Charles Scowen. By about 1894 the firm’s stock of negatives had been acquired by the ‘Colombo Apothecaries Co Ltd’. This print is likely to have been made in the 1890s from negatives made earlier.