Small 4to (218 x 180 mm), manuscript in pen, black ink and wash, text in brown ink in the same hand, ff.  (first blank), 44, of drawings and some manuscript text; in very good, clean and crisp condition; in contemporary half calf and marbled boards, front cover with decorated black morocco label, lettered in gilt ‘Antiquities'.
US $1209 €1097
Added to your basket:
Architectural Antiquities from the Sussex Coast.
An interesting and charming antiquarian manuscript illustrating medieval fonts, gothic windows, brasses, architectural details, and funerary sculptures found in churches along the Sussex coast. The anonymous author/draughtsman gives provenances and historical detail to the drawings, which capture the medieval artefacts before enthusiastic Victorian do-gooders got to them and over-restored them. The volume records much detail now lost or worn to obliteration. Churches visited are in Lewes, Arundel, Bexhill, Steying, Westdean, Hastings, Battle, Chichester, Eastbourne, Winchelsea, and Rye.
You may also be interested in...
with neumes, containing propers for the feasts of Saint Luke, the 11,000 Virgin Martyrs of Cologne, Saints Crispin and Crispinian, Saints Simon and Jude, and All Saints; an almost complete leaf, double columns of 29 lines written in two sizes of an angular late romanesque liturgical script, brown ink, ruled with plummet, initials alternately in red and green with penwork in red or blue, neumes on four-line staves ruled in brown ink; recovered from a binding and with consequent soiling and staining, trimmed at head with loss of two lines, short split at head, generally in good condition and entirely legible. 287 x 199 mm (written space 260 x 170 mm)
with readings and music for the 18th, 19th and 20th Sundays after Pentecost; a partial bifolium and a single leaf (text of first leaf of bifolium and single leaf continuous), vellum, double columns of 28 lines written in two sizes of an angular late romanesque liturgical script, dark brown ink, ruled with a hard point, initials in blue, green and red, rubrics in red, neumes on a single stave traced in red; recovered from a binding and with consequent creasing and staining, outer column of second leaf of bifolium cropped, a few small holes, one initial (‘D’) filled with a Renaissance doodle of strapwork and a putto’s head, generally in good condition and almost entirely legible. The first leaf measures 290 x 227 mm (260 x 175 mm)
The fine angular script and elegantly simple initials are typical of Cistercian manuscripts, although the absence of punctus flexus punctuation precludes a more definitive Cistercian attribution.