8vo., pp. xii, ; a very good, crisp copy in contemporary quarter calf and marbled boards (rubbed), competently rebacked.
Added to your basket:
Clavis anglica Linguæ botanicæ; or, a botanical Lexicon; in which the Terms of Botany, particularly those occurring in the Works of Linnæus, and other modern Writers, are applied, derived, explained, contrasted, and exemplified …
First edition, dedicated to John Hope of the University of Edinburgh, and written with the assistance of Arthur Lee of Virginia, winner of the Hope Medal in 1763.
The physician and miscellanous writer John Berkenhout (1726-1791) served in the Prussian and English infantry before commencing the study of medicine at Edinburgh in 1760. His Clavis was published while he was a student, and a second edition appeared in 1789. He practised in Isleworth, Bury St. Edmunds, Winchester and Bath, and spent some time in America from 1778. ‘Berkenhout was a versatile man. His deep knowledge of natural history, botany, and chemistry was coupled with an extensive acquaintance with classical and modern literature. He was familiar with the French, German, Swedish, Dutch, and Italian languages, was a good mathematician, and is said to have been skilled in music and painting’ (Oxford DNB).
You may also be interested in...
Woerterbuch der japanischen Sprache.
First edition of the first Japanese – German dictionary, which gives the Kanji (Chinese) characters together with the Katakana sound. On facing pages are printed the German (expansive) and English (shorter) translations or definitions together with the transliterated version. The work was handsomely printed by the Armenian Mecharist Order, noted for their expertise in oriental printing. Only this first part was published; a continuation was abandoned due to the cost of printing.
‘THE CELEBRATED MASTER OF ELOCUTION’ (BOSWELL) WALKER, John.
Hints for Improvement in the Art of Reading ...
First edition. The future lexicographer John Walker (1732-1807) left grammar school and then absconded from an apprenticeship to join a succession of provincial theatre companies. Garrick hired him in 1754 and for the next four years he performed a number of mainly minor parts at Drury Lane. In 1758 Walker and his wife were engaged to join the new Crow Street Theatre in Dublin. After further engagements there and at Covent Garden and Bristol he quit the stage in 1768 and turned to teaching elocution, first at a school in Kensington Gravel Pits (now Notting Hill Gate), then as a tutor and peripatetic lecturer.