12mo., pp. , 225, [25, advertisements], wanting the blanks A1, A6 and M6; edge of title-page browned, else a very good, crisp copy, in contemporary calf, some restoration to spine, modern label, new pastedowns; contemporary ownership inscription and shelfmarks of the antiquary Daniel Fleming; booklabels of G. J. Arvanitidis and Henry Blackmer II.
US $7566 €6664
Added to your basket:
A Relation of a Journey of the Right Honourable my Lord Henry Howard, from London to Vienna, and thence to Constantinople; in the Company of his excellency Count Lesley, Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece …
First and only edition of this account of a special embassy to the court of Sultan Mehmed IV, undertaken in 1664-5 by Walter Leslie, the Scottish-born Ambassador Extraordinary of the Holy Roman Empire. In his party was Henry Howard, later sixth Duke of Norfolk, along with the author John Burbury, who was Howard’s secretary, and Henry’s brother Edward.
Burbury is a lively narrator, with an eye for social commentary and incidental detail. There is much on the Ottoman possessions in Europe, from Buda (in ruins, the great library ‘being almost consum’d by Moths, Dust and Rats’) down the Danube to Novi Sad and Belgrade, and then overland to Sofia, Adrianople (where they met with the Grand Vizier and exchanged feasts and gifts) and Constantinople. In general Burbury is rather dismissive of his Turkish hosts, and while ‘The Janizaries lookt like stout fellows’ and had excellent muskets, the horses are loose-necked, the houses mean, their discipline lax and punishments harsh, and their music ‘the worst in the World … like Tom a Bedlam, only a little sweetened with a Portugal like Mimikry’. ‘But I cannot omit the cleanliness of the Turks, who as they had occasion to urine … afterwards wash’d their Hands, as they do still before and after their eating’.
Howard had been schooled on the Continent during the Commonwealth, becoming de facto head of a royalist, Catholic family at the age of 14. He returned to England after the Restoration, inheriting his grandfather’s great library and collection of art, including the Arundel marbles, which John Evelyn persuaded him to give to Oxford University. ‘Evelyn thought Howard had great abilities and a smooth tongue, but little judgement … Like his grandfather, he travelled widely, visiting Vienna and Constantinople in 1665, and going at some point to India’ (Oxford DNB). He played only a minor role in the present embassy, though he was later dispatched to Morocco in a similar capacity.
Atabey 165; Blackmer 236 (this copy); Wing B 5611.
You may also be interested in...
BIBLE FOR HUGUENOTS IN ENGLAND [BIBLE.]
La Bible, qui est toute la Sainte Escriture du Vieil et du Nouveau Testament. Autrement, l’ancienne et la nouvelle alliance. Le tout reveu et conferé sur les textes hebreux et grecs. Avec les Pseaumes de David, mis en rime françoise par Cl. Marot et Theod. de Beze.
First complete edition of the Bible in French to be printed in England, in a fine Restoration binding. This Bible, in the French Geneva version, was published less than two years after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes (22 October 1685) which saw about 50,000 French Protestant refugees move to England (the word ‘refugee’ entered the English language at this time). The present copy is without the Apocrypha sometimes found at the end of the Old Testament (as is the Bible Society copy; see Darlow & Moule).
‘ATMOSPHERIC AND FAITHFUL’ MENDES PINTO, Fernão (Bernard FIGUIER, translator).
Les voyages advantureux de Fernand Mendez Pinto. Fidelement traduicts de portugais en françois par le Sieur Bernard Figuier gentil-homme portugais. Et dediez à Monseigneur le Cardinal de Richelieu.
First edition in French of Mendes Pinto’s celebrated travel account; rare. The original Portuguese edition was published in 1614, although the first draft of the book had been completed by 1569. The present ‘atmospheric and faithful French translation’ (Lach, Asia in the Making of Europe, III, p. 401) is by Bernard Figuier (probably Bernardo Figueiro) and was reprinted in 1645 and 1663. Figuier seems to have made use of both Portuguese and Spanish versions for his translation.