8vo., pp. , ii, 24, [2, blank], wanting the half-title else a very good copy, stitched as issued, uncut.
Added to your basket:
The Felicity of God’s Children, considered in a Sermon, preached upon the Death of a Lady, in the parish Church of St. Giles, Reading, on Sunday Morning, November 20, 1796 ....
First edition, a funeral sermon by the popular preacher William Bromley Cadogan, a friend of John Newton, for the local widow Maria Littlehales, printed at the request of her children. A younger son of the third Earl of Cadogan, the well-connected churchman was vicar of St. Giles, Reading, and rector of Chelsea (which was in his father’s gift). Although his principles were High Church he preached with an evangelical fervour that led Wesley to send him copies of his works, which he burned in his kitchen, vowing that he would learn the truth from Scripture alone. He died two months after preaching this sermon.
ESTC shows four copies: BL, Durham, Bodley, and Rylands.
You may also be interested in...
THE FIRST EJECTED SCANDALOUS PRIEST PETITION AND ARTICLES (The)
or severall Charge exhibited in Parliament against Edward Finch Vicar of Christs Church in London, and Brother to Sir John Finch, late Lord Keeper, now a Fugitive for Fear of this present Parliament, 1641 …
First edition. The royalist divine Edward Finch became vicar of Christ Church, Newgate, in 1630. Ten years later a number of his parishioners petitioned the Long Parliament for his removal because of popish practices, preaching in a surplice, placing the communion table altar-wise, and hindering the delivery of sermons on the anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot. He persistently neglected his duties, exacted ‘unjust and excessive Fees for Burials’, frequented taverns and alehouses, and kept company with lewd women. Called to give the Sacrament to a dying parishioner he was so drunk that ‘he was not able to pronounce the Lords Prayer’.
THE UFFINGTON HORSE WISE, Francis.
A Letter to Dr Mead concerning some Antiquities in Berkshire, particularly shewing that the White Horse, which gives its name to the Vale, is a Monument of the West-Saxons, made in Memory of a great Victory obtained over the Danes A. D. 871 … . [With:]
First editions. A Letter to Dr Mead was the first serious archaeological study of the Uffington White Horse. Francis Wise, Keeper of the Archives at Oxford University and later a friend of Samuel Johnson, contends that the horse, which he eulogises as a work of art, had Saxon origins, because of the common use of horse motifs in Saxon decoration. His most enduring antiquarian contribution, however, is to link the nearby long barrow Wayland’s Smithy to the legendary Saxon figure Weland.