Five vols., 12mo.; pp. 20-21 in volume V soiled (dropped in the mud?), else a fine copy, in attractive contemporary comb-patterned calf, spines gilt in compartments, red morocco label; contemporary ownership inscriptions of Gowan Gillmor (within a window in the pastedowns at the front and rear of each volume).
Added to your basket:
Lettres ecrites par le tres-honorable … Comte de Chesterfield, a son Fils, Philippe Stanhope … avec plusieurs autres Pieces sur divers Sujets. Publiées par Madame Eugenie Stanhope, d’après l’Original en sa Possession. En cinq Volumes …
First edition in French of Chesterfield’s famous Letters to his Son (1774). Although not recognized as such by Gulick (and not listed in ESTC), this is almost certainly an English production; press figures appear throughout all five volumes, the typography and disposition is generally English in feel, and there are scattered grammatical and typographical errors perhaps unlikely from a native French printer, e.g. ‘Fin du cinquieme et dernier volume’.
Chesterfield’s great repository of homiletic courtesy and worldy wisdom, in a series of private letters of advice to his natural son over a period of thirty years, was never originally intended for publication, and aroused wildly varying opinions on its publication a year after his death. Johnson was very cutting, Walpole thought them surprisingly heartfelt. A proportion of the original letters had been in French, which made the swift publication of this translation all the easier. A Choix de Lettres, translated by Peyron, was published in the following year, but the present translator has not been identified; his source text, according to Gulick, was the second or third edition.
You may also be interested in...
CHARTERHOUSE SCHOOL BEARCROFT, Philip.
An historical Account of Thomas Sutton Esq; and of his Foundation in Charter-House …
First edition. Thomas Sutton (1532-1611) was an Elizabethan civil servant who made an enormous fortune from leases of land rich in coal in Durham. In 1611 he bought Howard House for £13,000 from the Earl of Suffolk; the building acquired its more familiar name, ‘Charterhouse’, after the order of monks who inhabited the original institution, a Carthusian monastery. Sutton quickly set about establishing a free school for forty boys and a hospital for poverty-stricken gentlemen. By the time of his death, he had organised a Master and a group of governors for the foundation, to which he bequeathed the majority of his fortune. Charterhouse finally opened its doors in 1614. The school moved to its present site in Godalming in 1872.