Lithograph folded broadside (490 x 190 mm.), with a large engraved view of the hotel (mounted), a town map of Cologne and large panorama of the Rhine on the verso; the text is in French.
US $319 €274
Added to your basket:
Hotel de Belle Vue à Deutz vis-à-vis de Cologne tenu pour J.A. Kimmel. [
A ambitious lithograph advertisement for the Hotel de Belle Vue in Deutz, facing Cologne over the Rhine. The finely engraved view of the hotel shows it with its surrounding park lying on the Rhine which is bustling with barges, there is a bridge crossing the river full of promenading people. The litho map of Cologne indicates the places worth visiting in the city. The verso of the broadside is entirely taken up with a litho panorama of the Rhine from Cologne, over Dusseldorf to Mainz. On either side are litho maps for the railway journey from Cologne to Berlin and from Cologne to Paris, at the bottom there is a view of Cologne cathedral.
You may also be interested in...
BRUECKMANN, Franz Ernst.
De Cervo Volante et eius Hybernaculo.
First and only edition of the earliest monograph on the stag beetle. The fine plate shows the insect in all its glory, also his winter quarters in the trunk of an oak tree.
HEBRIDAL SMELT YARRELL, William.
A History of British Fishes … illustrated by nearly 400 Woodcuts.
First collected editions, with an autograph letter on the Hebridal smelt from the species’ discoverer. Published serially from 1835 to 1836, Yarrell’s History of British Fishes was reprinted within a year, and followed soon after by Thomas Bell’s British Reptiles in 1839 and his own British Birds in 1843 published by van Voorst and together forming a comprehensive survey of British wildlife. Though noted for his careful observations, Yarrell is here corrected on several points in an autograph letter to the antiquarian Adam Sim (1805–1868) from William Euing (1788–1874), who had discovered the Hebridal smelt (first included in the Supplement) in November 1837.
Despite this contribution to Scottish ichthyology, Euing, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and President of the Glasgow Archaeological Society, is best remembered for his fine library, of which some twelve thousand volumes now belong to Glasgow University.