9 works in one vol., 8vo, pp. x, ii, 212, with one plate; 91, ; 4; 4; 16; 19, ; 4; 20; 23, ; some browning to items 3 and 5; very good in contemporary polished tree calf, flat spine gilt, morocco lettering-piece, marbled endpapers; a few minor abrasions to sides.
US $1195 €1133
Added to your basket:
Ménage sociétaire ou Moyen d’augmenter son bien-être en diminuant sa dépense, avec indication de quelques nouvelles combinaisons pour améliorer et assurer son avenir.
1. First edition of this work by the entrepreneur and inventor Charles Harel (1771-1852), a friend and disciple of Charles Fourier’s. This plan describes Harel’s project for the founding of a community of 200 celibates: a utopia of communal life detailing rules (‘love’, ‘the library’etc.) and practical advice (the influence of specific foods, magnetism, exercise). It is accompanied by a facsimile of an autograph letter from Charles Fourier to Harel.
2. First edition of these scientific remarks on space, void, the barometer, electricity and other phenomena of physics by a distinguished agronomist and physicist, the inventor of a micrometer.
3-5. First editions: a presentation of the Sociétés de la Paix founded at the end of the Napoleonic wars, first created in America in 1815, and two rare pacifist pamphlets.
6. Rare tiré-à-part, a pacifist pamphlet containing an extract from Necker’s Administration des Finances de la France, with a demonstration of the deadly economic consequences of war.
7. First edition of this imaginary dialogue featuring William Penn. Quakers played a pivotal role in the formation of the Sociétés de la Paix and in the establishment of the pacifist movement in the 19th century.
8. First edition, rare, of a report for the year 1843 of the first pacifist association in France, founded in 1821 as ‘Société de la Morale Chrétienne’.
9. First edition of this note on William Wilberforce.
You may also be interested in...
[HO CHI MINH.] ‘Nguyên-Aï-Quôc’ (pseud.).
Le Procès de la colonisation française – première série [all published] – Mœurs coloniales.
First edition, very rare, of a strident attack on French colonial policy, not just in Indochina but also in Madagascar, Cameroon, Algeria etc, by the future President and Prime Minister of North Vietnam. He strikes out at taxation, governance, ‘les civilisateurs’, corruption, exploitation, undereducation and ‘le martyre de la femme indigène’.
UNRECORDED SALUZZO BODONI IMPRINT [BODONI.]
D. Francesco Giacinto Rovero Cavaliere di Piea, e della Sagra Religione, ed Ordine Militare de’ Santi Morizio, e Lazaro, Colonnello di Cavalleria, e Commandante della Città, e Provincia di Saluzzo per Sua Maestà. [Incipit:] Ad effetto di proccurare col mantenimento del buon ordine la pubblica tranquillità, restando opportuno di rendere nuovamente pubblici li Provvedimenti, che ad un tal fine sono diretti.
Very rare survival, apparently unrecorded, of this bill of public order laws printed by Giovandomenico Bodoni at Saluzzo.