Small 4to, pp. viii, 120, with woodcut vignette on title; preliminary and last leaves with some light spotting, but a good copy in contemporary grey wrappers, spine worn. Faint Donaueschingen library stamp on title. Inscribed ‘pour Monsieur le Baron de Beroldingen’, possibly from the author.
US $490 €395
First edition. Description of the cabinet assembled by Charles Michetti in Vienna. Michetti stresses in his introduction that his collection was put together not for financial gain but because he liked the look of the pieces and appreciated their artistic merit. The bulk of the collection is made up of prints but there are also paintings, Etruscan vases, jewellery, a microscope from England, and a collection of books, particularly strong in the arts.
No copy in RLIN or OCLC.
You may also be interested in...
Piccoli Bronzi del Real Museo Borbonico … descritti e disegnati da Carlo Ceci.
Second edition (with three extra plates) of this exhibition catalogue of ancient artefacts excavated from Pompeii and Herculaneum on display at the Real Museo Borbonico (today Museo Nazionale) in Naples, and here illustrated and described by its curator, Carlo Ceci. The plates display a mixture of decorative bronzes, ornamental armour and weaponry, votive offerings, as well as more mundane items such as tools. Ceci was particularly interested in everyday objects used by Roman women, such as kitchen utensils, cosmetics, and toiletries.
Catalogue of the celebrated Fountaine collection of Majolica, Henri II Ware, Palissy Ware, Nevers Ware, Limoges Enamels, Carvings in Ivory, Hone Stone and Rock Crystal, Greek and Roman coins, Ancient Armour, … removed from Narford Hall, Norfolk. Which will be sold by auction by Messrs. Christie, Manson & Woods … on Monday, June 16, 1884, and the following days …
First day only of the Majolica sale of the Fountaine collection. Andrew Fountain (1676-1753) was ‘the predecessor of Horace Walpole as an arbiter of taste and virtu’ (ODNB). His engravings and drawings were sold in July 1884, pictures in 1894 and porcelain in 1904.