4to; pp. [iii]–xvii, [iii], 373, with a folding map; without the half-title, map lightly offset onto facing text page, slight offsetting from turn-ins on title, but an excellent copy in contemporary tan calf; very skilfully rebacked preserving the original morocco lettering-piece; from the library of Sir John Hay, 5th Baronet (1755–1830), of Haystoun, with gilt arms in centre of covers.
Added to your basket:
The journal of a mission to the interior of Africa, in the year 1805 . . . Together with other documents, official and private, relating to the same mission. To which is prefixed an account of the life of Mr. Park. The second edition, revised and corrected, with additions.
Second edition, revised and expanded. Park perished in the course of this, his second expedition to Africa, but fortunately he had earlier sent back his journal, which is the basis of this volume. It was edited for publication by John Whishaw, who contributed a substantial biographical introduction. The second edition comprises new material, including Walter Scott’s recollections of Park, which had come to the editor’s knowledge only after the initial publication of the Journal earlier in 1815 (see Todd & Bowden, Sir Walter Scott, a bibliographical history p. 381). These additions were also printed separately so that owners of the first edition could update their copies.
Ibrahim-Hilmy II p. 93; see also PMM p. 153.
You may also be interested in...
The Tunbridge Wells Guide; or an Account of the ancient and present State of the Place, to which is added a particular Description of the Towns and Villages, Gentlemens Seats, Remains of Antiquity, Founderies, &c. &c. within the Circumference of sixteen Miles.
The Tunbridge Wells Guide apparently first appeared in 1780; reissues and/or new editions, partly from standing type, with variously erratic pagination and a steady accretion of content, appeared throughout the 1780s and 1790s. ‘The hurry in putting this to the press,’ an ingenuous Preface explains, ‘may have subjected it to some few errors’. The text under the pasted cancel on the ‘Table of Distances’ shows that it was taken from The Kentish Companion, printed at the [King’s] Arms Printing Office in Canterbury in 1785.
Vade-mecum des porteurs de Suez. Extrait du numéro du 4 mars 1882 du Courrier des Tirages financiers. Propriété de la Banque Générale d’Arbitrages et de Crédit
Scarce pamphlet, signed ‘J. R.’, advising investors in the Suez Canal – referred to as ‘capitalistes intelligents’ – on the likely return on their investments over the coming 10 years.