8vo, pp. [6 (half-title, verso blank, title, imprint on verso, index and illustrations)], 9-350; portrait frontispiece, colour-printed and monochrome illustrations and facsimiles in the text, some full-page; original brown cloth, spine lettered in gilt; fine.
US $32 €27
Added to your basket:
Contributions towards a Dictionary of English Book-Collectors as also of some Foreign Collectors whose Libraries were Incorporated in English Collections or whose Books are Chiefly Met with in England.
A facsimile reprint of Quaritch’s series of profiles of bibliophiles, with brief lists of the treasures of their collections and notes on their dispersal at auction or in the trade, which remains a useful resource both for the history of book-collecting in Britain and for provenance research. Contributions towards a Dictionary of English Book-Collectors was originally published in fascicules between 1892 and 1921, and the contributors included F.S. Ellis, W. Carew Hazlitt, Alfred H. Huth and Robert C.G. Proctor – however, as Arthur Freeman states in his biography of Quaritch in the ODNB, Quaritch’s contributions were ‘largely ghost-written’.
You may also be interested in...
BARKER, Nicolas, and David QUENTIN.
The Library of Thomas Tresham and Thomas Brudenell. With an introduction by John Martin Robinson.
Sir Thomas Tresham (1543–1605) remains best-known for his buildings, especially the market house at Rothwell, the Triangular Lodge at Rushton and Lyveden New Bield. His library, one of the largest in England of its time, has hitherto attracted comparatively little interest. Now, as a result of a careful examination of both the portion of the library which has been preserved at Deene Park in Northamptonshire by the descendants of Tresham’s son-in-law, Thomas Brudenell, and of a manuscript inventory of the original library, Nicolas Barker and David Quentin have provided a detailed picture of the library and the circumstances of its creation. The catalogue of nearly 2,000 works shows that Tresham owned the latest works on architecture, mathematics, astronomy and science, Catholic theology and devotion, with a wide range of works on history and literature. John Martin Robinson’s introduction gives much information on Tresham’s family and his patronage of architecture.
Jacques-Charles Brunet, Le Grand Bibliographe. A guide to the books he wrote, compiled, and edited and to the book-auction catalogues he expertised.
As an undergraduate in Brown University Roger Stoddard operated a second-hand bookshop from his dormitory room, issuing modest catalogues while working for Goodspeed’s Book Shop in the summer months. From 1958 until 1961 he assisted William Jackson, Librarian of the Houghton Library, and from 1961 until 1965 he served as Assistant Curator, then Curator of the Harris Collection of American Poetry and Plays in Brown University. In 1965 he was called back to Houghton Library where he has held various titles, retiring on 31 December 2004 as Senior Curator in the Houghton Library, Curator of Rare Books in the Harvard College Library, and Senior Lecturer on English. On 15 December 2004 he was appointed Associate of the English Department, and he continues to practice bibliography and to publish from his carrel in the book stack of the H. E. Widener Memorial Library. Works in progress include bibliographies of American poetry printed 1610–1820, William A. Alcott, Albert Cossery, and Andrée Chedid.