Small 8vo, pp. [ii], 71; a clean copy in recent marbled boards.
US $588 €497
Added to your basket:
A Collection of Advertisements, Advices, and Directions, relating to the Royal Fishery within the British Seas, &c.
First edition. The Royal Fishery Company, incorporated in 1662, had great trouble finding subscribers. Initially, Charles II offered £9000 as an incentive to investors but on these only raising £3680 he withdrew his undertaking, instead allowing a lottery to aid the Company’s fortunes. After attempts in 1677 to capitalize the company, much of the property was sold in 1680. The complicated structures governing the company devolved onto 4 directors and 8 masters in 1692.
The present work is one of several pamphlets issued to recommend the last-ditch attempt to rescue the Company’s finances in 1695, following the sale of substantial further property in 1685–6. ‘£300,000 “or at least 150,000”’ was the target but by 30 October 1695, only a small amount had been realized. The final mention of the Company was in 1717 when token opposition was made to the ‘Grand Fishing Company’ but the charter of Charles II was now deemed void ‘through neglect’.
Goldsmiths’ 3062, Kress 1876; Wing C 5106; see Scott, The Constitution and Finance of English, Scottish and Irish Joint-Stock Companies to 1720 II, 372–376.
You may also be interested in...
An Essay on the State of the Country, in Respect to the Condition and Conduct of the Husbandry Labourers, and to the Consequences likely to result therefrom.
First edition. The author, who has been identified as the social reformer Francis Place (1771-1854), concludes that, with current low profit margins, squeezed by a large variety of duties, tithes and taxes as well as rent, farmers were unable to increase labourers’ wages, and therefore a further increase to taxes levied on landlords would only generate the inevitable and lethal consequence of reducing their capacity for investment.
SUBSCRIPTION FOR IMPROVEMENTS BY GEORGE GILBERT SCOTT [UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, OXFORD.]
Subscription list for repairs to the College Chapel.
A printed appeal from University College, signed by the Master Frederick Charles Plumptre (1796-1870), for funds to improve the interior of the Chapel, with an admission that ‘the College has no funds whatever to devote to such a purpose’. The list of subscribers contains some ninety names.
The improvements will include ‘a new East Window, which will necessitate, in the Architect’s judgment, a considerable and expensive alteration of the Roof internally, as well as the reparation of the East Wall: it is also very desirable to admit more light, by opening a Window on the South side. A plan of these and other, almost necessary, alterations has been furnished by Mr. G. G. Scott, and the estimate of the cost, with the Stained Glass for the new East Window, is at least £1700’. Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878) had just designed the Library at University; his alterations to the Chapel still survive. A photograph by Fox Talbot, taken in 1843, shows the Chapel’s exterior with the original seventeenth-century window and its unusual tracery.