12mo, pp. vii, , 234, xvii, [1 (blank)], with 14 plates (of which 4 hand-coloured); pl. 5 as frontispiece; slight foxing, damp-stain to later leaves; a very good copy in contemporary speckled calf, borders filleted in gilt, spine gilt-ruled in compartments, gilt red morocco lettering-piece in one, board-edges roll-tooled in gilt; lightly rubbed, corners minimally bumped, splits to joints; nineteenth-century manuscript notes in pencil to front flyleaf and frontispiece verso.
US $284 €260
Added to your basket:
A Compendium of the veterinary Art, containing an accurate Description of all the Diseases to which the Horse is liable, their Symptoms and Treatment, the Anatomy and Physiology of the Foot, illustrated by Plates, with Observations on Shoeing and on Stable Management … the sixth Edition, corrected.
Sixth edition. Evidently a successful text, further editions appeared soon after the work’s first publication and would eventually be expanded into four volumes (the present edition is often found accompanied by The materia medica and pharmacopoeia).
Dingley 667; not in Mellon.
You may also be interested in...
NEWTONIAN SCHOOLBOOK MARTIN, Benjamin.
The Young Student’s Memorial Book, or pocket Library.
First and only edition. A self-taught schoolmaster in Chichester, Benjamin Martin (1705-1782) ‘began to write, with the avowed intention of bringing down the price of books, especially for the benefit of those who were trying to educate themselves as he had done’ (Oxford DNB). ‘One of the great popularizers of science in the mid-eighteenth century’ (DSB), Martin is probably best known as an early champion of Newton, and Sections 25-6 here are on ‘Sir Isaac Newton’s Universal Theorem’, and Fluxions.
WITH ARMS PRINTED IN GOLD [MULLIS, William].
A brief Account of the Blue Coat Hospital, and Public Library, in the College, Manchester, founded by Humphrey Chetham, Esq. in the Year 1651.
Sole edition, privately printed and very rare. William Mullis was the deputy librarian of Chetham’s Library, the oldest free public reference library in the English-speaking world. It was founded in 1653, along with the Blue Coat School (two years earlier), by bequests from the merchant and banker Humphrey Chetham. Both charities occupied the ‘venerable edifice’ built in 1461 to accommodate the priests of Manchester’s Collegiate Church.