Small 4to., (230 x 238 mm), pp. x, 386, approx. 400 illustrations; cloth-bound with pictorial dust-jacket.
US $96 €87
Added to your basket:
History of Photography in China: Chinese Photographers 1844-1879.
This book is the ﬁrst extensive survey of early Chinese photographers in any language. It is profusely illustrated with more than 400 photographs, many of which are published here for the ﬁrst time, including a ﬁne selection of Foochow landscapes from the studios of Lai Fong, China’s leading photographer during this period, and Tung Hing. Early chapters introduce the historical milieu from which the earliest Chinese photographers emerged and illuminate the beginnings of photography in China and contemporary Chinese reactions to its introduction.
Early Chinese commercial photography – both portrait and landscape – are also discussed with reference to similar genres in a more international context. Individual chapters are devoted to Chinese photographers in Peking, Hong Kong, Canton, Shanghai, Foochow, Amoy, Hankow, Tientsin and other ports, Macau and Formosa. These are followed by a series of appendices: writings on photography in China by John Thomson and Isaac Taylor Headland and an invaluable guide to the identiﬁcation of photographs from the Afong Studio. It concludes with an extensive bibliography, general and regional chronologies, and a biographical index.
View the index to this three-part series here. The 1st volume (History of Photography in China 1842-1860) is introduced here and the 2nd volume (Western Photographers in China 1861–1879) here.
You may also be interested in...
THE FIRST ENGLISH CHURCH AT DINAN C., E. H.
On the occasion of a Bazaar held in aid of Funds required for the Completion of the first English Church at Dinan, which was begun by the Rev. W. Watson, in 1868. .
‘A Church Bazaar takes place to-day, / And for all aid we humbly pray / Tho’ many have giv’n with liberal hands, / A heavy debt against us stands ....’ Dinan, in Britanny, was popular with English visitors for health or leisure, according to the poem, and for many years English services had been held in a small room. Now a brave vicar had started to build an English church, but had not lived to see it finished. ‘The work he left so well begun, / We surely must not leave undone!’ The church was finished in 1870.
Jacques-Charles Brunet, Le Grand Bibliographe. A guide to the books he wrote, compiled, and edited and to the book-auction catalogues he expertised.
As an undergraduate in Brown University Roger Stoddard operated a second-hand bookshop from his dormitory room, issuing modest catalogues while working for Goodspeed’s Book Shop in the summer months. From 1958 until 1961 he assisted William Jackson, Librarian of the Houghton Library, and from 1961 until 1965 he served as Assistant Curator, then Curator of the Harris Collection of American Poetry and Plays in Brown University. In 1965 he was called back to Houghton Library where he has held various titles, retiring on 31 December 2004 as Senior Curator in the Houghton Library, Curator of Rare Books in the Harvard College Library, and Senior Lecturer on English. On 15 December 2004 he was appointed Associate of the English Department, and he continues to practice bibliography and to publish from his carrel in the book stack of the H. E. Widener Memorial Library. Works in progress include bibliographies of American poetry printed 1610–1820, William A. Alcott, Albert Cossery, and Andrée Chedid.