EARLY PROTESTANT PRAYER-BOOK

Precationes Biblicae sanctoru[m] patrum, illustrium viroru[m] et mulierum utriusq[ue] Testamenti. 

Strasbourg, Johannes Schott, 1528.

8vo, ff. [viii], 91, [1]; title printed in black and red within chiaroscuro woodcut border also printed in black and red and attributed to Hans Weiditz, woodcut on A8v, text and colophon all within wide woodcut borders of children playing, hunting and satirical scenes, trophies, grotesques, plants, animals, insects and so on (these also attributed to Hans Weiditz), woodcut device on final leaf; a few minor tears, spots and stains, but a very good copy in modern vellum with red morocco spine labels; old Quaritch description (1970s) loosely inserted.

£3500

Approximately:
US $4459€4108

Add to basket Make an enquiry

Added to your basket:
Precationes Biblicae sanctoru[m] patrum, illustrium viroru[m] et mulierum utriusq[ue] Testamenti. 

Checkout now

First edition, rare.  The earliest Protestant prayer-books, of which this is perhaps the most notable example, often comprised prayers taken directly from (or adapted from) the Bible.  Brunfels’s Precationes Biblicae appeared in the same year in German translation (Biblisch Bettbüchlein der Altvätter und herrlichen Weibern, beyd Alts und Newes Testaments) and was translated into several other languages including English (Prayers of the Byble, published by Robert Redman in 1535).

Brunfels (c. 1488–1534) entered the Carthusian monastery in Strasbourg after graduating MA in 1508.  In 1521 he left the monastery and the Catholic faith.  He opened a school in Strasbourg in 1524 and ‘soon demonstrated his interest in medicine by editing and translating various older medical texts and by writing one of the earliest medical bibliographies, the Catalogus (1530)’ (DSB).  His celebrated botanical work Herbarum vivae eicones appeared in 1530 and 1532; in the latter year he graduated MD at Basel.

The woodcut borders are ‘evidently by Hans Weiditz, who also illustrated the same author’s Herbal 1530–2, in which the artist’s name is given.  In one of the borders is represented a fox in monkish garb (?Tetzel) selling indulgences to several geese; the treasure-chest and papal standard (?) at back.  Children’s toys and noise-making instruments are shown in another border.  This appears to be one of the earliest publications of Brunfels and is very little known’ (Fairfax Murray).  The chiaroscuro woodcut title border depicts Hezekiah being healed by Isaiah.

Adams P-2071; Fairfax Murray 100.  OCLC locates only two copies in the UK (British Library and National Art Library) and one in the US (Yale).  Library Hub adds a copy at the Bodleian.

You may also be interested in...

PRESENTING CHINA TO ENGLISH READERS NIEUHOF, Jan; Athanasius KIRCHER; and John OGILBY, translator.

An Embassy from the East-India Company of the United Provinces, to the Grand Tartar Cham emperour of China, delivered by their Excellies Peter de Goyer, and Jacob de Keyzer, at his imperial city of Peking. Wherein the cities, towns, villages, ports, rivers, &c. in their passages from Canton to Peking, are ingeniously described by Mr. John Nieuhoff, steward to the ambassadours … With an appendix of several remarks taken out of Father Athanasius Kircher …

First English edition, beautifully illustrated, recounting the Dutch traveller Jan Nieuhof’s journey as part of Peter de Goyer and Jacob de Keizer’s embassy to Peking between 1655 and 1657. Having previously been employed by the Dutch West India Company in Brazil, Nieuhof joined the Dutch East India Company (or ‘VOC’) in 1650 and was stationed for a number of years in Batavia (Jakarta), where he was eventually appointed steward of the embassy in 1654. The following year Nieuhof served on one of the embassies sent by the VOC to Peking (Beijing) with the intention of convincing the Qing emperor to open up trade relations on the south coast following the VOC’s failed attempt to end the Portuguese monopoly on trade to Macao. Leaving Canton (Guangzhou), the embassy travelled northwards through Jiangxsi, Anhui, Jiangsu, and Hebei provinces, reaching Peking in July 1656 before embarking upon their return trip in October of the same year: in total, the journey stretched over 2400 kilometres, and although the party was unable to discuss trade arrangements with the emperor, they did gain permission to visit the court every eight years. 

Read more