Journal de voyage ...

France, June-September 1866.

Manuscript on paper, in French, folio (372 x 242 mm), pp. [2], 157, with 13 coloured drawings bound in (some folding), 2 drawings on tracing paper loosely inserted, and over 100 marginal and in-text drawings; neatly written in brown and occasionally red ink, 38 lines per page; loosely inserted a folder titled ‘Croquis’ with 9 further drawings on squared paper; a little occasional light foxing; very good in contemporary quarter black cloth over marbled boards; spine detached (remaining portion loosely inserted), some rubbing to corners and edges.


US $4747€4184

Add to basket Make an enquiry

Added to your basket:
Journal de voyage ...

Checkout now

A handsome manuscript on mining engineering, apparently unpublished, recording visits undertaken by the engineer F. Humblot to coal mines and iron works in eastern and southern France in 1866, containing well over one hundred beautifully executed technical drawings.

In June 1866 Humblot visited the coal mines of Sainte Marie and Cinq-Sous at Blanzy, moving on in August to the mines at Montrambert and La Béraudière near to Saint-Étienne, and finishing in September with a trip to the iron works at Bessèges. The text contains detailed descriptions of the workings of each site, with statistics, while the accompanying illustrations include site plans, maps, geological cross sections, barrows and wagons, rails, pulleys, hand tools, cross sections of galleries, pumping engines, headframes, furnaces, boilers, and steam hammers, all executed with considerable skill.

The author of this manuscript was perhaps related to Edmond Humblot (1830–1899), engineer of bridges, reservoirs and railways who served as directeur général des services des eaux in Paris.

You may also be interested in...


Altare Christianum: or, the dead Vicar’s Plea. Wherein the Vicar of Gr. being dead, yet speaketh, and pleadeth out of Antiquity, against him that hath broken downe his Altar. Presented, and humbly submitted to the consideration of his Superiours, the Governours of our Church.

First edition, from the library of Robert Southey, with an ownership inscription an eleven-line note in his distinctive diminutive hand.

Read more


Vues prises a Avignon, Villeneuve, Orange, Arles, et autres Lieux Circonvoisins; accompagnées d’un texte descriptif, de souvenits historiques et de divers itinéraires …

First edition, rare, a presentation copy, inscribed ‘donné à Aug. Picart par Mr L. Frossard. Avignon 21 février 1843’, and with an album of original drawings similarly inscribed (in a different hand).

Read more