Small 8vo, pp. 128; title within border, woodcut headpiece; some foxing and spotting in places throughout, the odd worm trace in gutter, not affecting text; in contemporary blue wrappers, decorated with ink frame; title in ink on spine; somewhat dustsoiled, spine worn with small loss to head; with the ownership signature of the Ligurian priest Vincenzo Lotti, dated 1800, on front paste-down.
US $259 €219
Added to your basket:
Rime di Giambattista Felice Zappi e di Faustina Maratti sua consorte.
Uncommon Nice printing of the collected poetry of one of the most prominent literary couples of early 18th century Rome, Faustina Maratti (1679–1745) and her husband Giambattista Zappi (1667–1719). First published after Zappi’s death in 1723, the collection consists of 73 poems by Zappi and 38 by Maratti. The two had met through the Accademia degli Arcadi, of which Zappi was a founder member and Maratti was one of the earliest female members. The present printing is by the Société typographique in Nice, established in 1779 by Charles Cristini, which specialised in the printing of Italian classics.
Outwith Continental Europe, OCLC records copies at Yale, Harvard, Wisconsin, Missouri, and the BL.
You may also be interested in...
GURNEY, Joseph John.
Notes on a Visit made to some of the Prisons in Scotland and the North of England, in Company with Elizabeth Fry, with some general Observations on the Subject of Prison Discipline.
First edition of an influential work on prison reform. The first work on prison conditions by John Joseph Gurney (1788-1847), reporting on a visit to Scotland and northern England with his sister, the more prolific reformer Elizabeth Fry (1780-1845). From 1816 Fry had worked directly on the reform of female prisoners at Newgate, establishing the Ladies’ Association for the Reformation of the Female Prisoners in Newgate in April 1817, subsequently broadened to address other prisons in Britain and abroad.
[COLERIDGE, Samuel Taylor, and Robert SOUTHEY.]
The Devil’s walk; a poem. By Professor Porson. Edited with a biographical memoir and notes, by H. W. Montagu ...
First separate edition, first issue with pages 21 and 22 omitted in the pagination. In its earliest form the poem appeared (anonymously) in the Morning Post for 6 September 1799 as ‘The Devil’s Thoughts’. Shelley published a response and continuation in 1812, The Devil's Walk: a Ballad, after the food riots in Devon. In 1827 Southey amplified the original poem considerably, expanding it from thirteen stanzas to fifty-seven, but also transforming a radical poem into a conservative one. The title was also changed to echo that of Shelley's ballad. The attribution to Porson created considerable controversy, which in turn gave rise to a number of parodies and imitations.