US $240 €215
Added to your basket:
An Early Breton Gospel Book. A Ninth-Century Manuscript from the Collection of H. L. Bradfer-Lawrence.
This ninth-century manuscript was the oldest and most important in the collection formed by Harry Bradfer-Lawrence. The book was begun by Professor Francis Wormald. He discusses the manuscript’s antecedents, both Carolingian and Merovingian, and the marked influence of Tours that points to a Breton origin, and notes the Anglo-Saxon additions made in the tenth century. The death of both owner and author left the task unfinished.
Harry Bradfer-Lawrence’s son, Philip, invited Professor Jonathan Alexander to finish the book. Prof. Alexander added a long note on Breton Gospel books, and points to the Norman invasion of Brittany in 919 as the occasion of the manuscript’s removal to England.
You may also be interested in...
BARKER, Nicolas, and David QUENTIN.
The Library of Thomas Tresham and Thomas Brudenell. With an introduction by John Martin Robinson.
Sir Thomas Tresham (1543–1605) remains best-known for his buildings, especially the market house at Rothwell, the Triangular Lodge at Rushton and Lyveden New Bield. His library, one of the largest in England of its time, has hitherto attracted comparatively little interest. Now, as a result of a careful examination of both the portion of the library which has been preserved at Deene Park in Northamptonshire by the descendants of Tresham’s son-in-law, Thomas Brudenell, and of a manuscript inventory of the original library, Nicolas Barker and David Quentin have provided a detailed picture of the library and the circumstances of its creation. The catalogue of nearly 2,000 works shows that Tresham owned the latest works on architecture, mathematics, astronomy and science, Catholic theology and devotion, with a wide range of works on history and literature. John Martin Robinson’s introduction gives much information on Tresham’s family and his patronage of architecture.
Il Quadriregio. With an essay by B.H. Breslauer. Facsimile based on the edition printed in Florence in 1508.
This is the first facsimile reproduction of one of the greatest Florentine illustrated books of the Renaissance – Il Quadriregio is to Florentine book illustration what the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili is to Venetian. The only surviving work of Federico Frezzi (c. 1350–1416), bishop of Foligno, the text is an allegorical poem in the vernacular, describing a journey through four regions: Love, Satan, Vice, and Virtue. The Earl of Crawford’s copy, one of only two remaining in private hands, is reproduced here in its entirety. The prefatory essay, by Bernard Breslauer, not only treats the book, its remarkable publisher Piero Pacini, and its place in the history of Florentine book illustration, but considers how it has been assessed by the critics and art historians of the last hundred years.